Nine Irvine Unified School District educators were honored for making a difference in students’ lives through arts education at the 2018 Orange County Music and Arts Educators Awards this month.
Catherine Holmes, IUSD’s Executive Director of Curriculum, Instruction and Professional Learning, was named District Administrator of the Year for her ongoing support of more than 130 visual and performing arts teachers and teacher leaders. Holmes’ commitment to arts education has had a direct impact on students who are realizing their dreams of becoming musicians, artists, actors, dancers and lifelong arts enthusiasts.
In addition, eight teachers were recognized as Outstanding Arts Educators at the awards ceremony held at Segerstrom Center for the Arts:
- Sue Anello – Rancho San Joaquin Middle School Visual Arts Teacher
- Danyelle Dunavold – Northwood High School English and Drama Teacher
- Randi Haynes, Joanna Casucci and Allison Matthews – District Fine Arts Specialists
- Kim Rohrs – Northwood High School Visual Arts Teacher
- Laura Schultz – Vista Verde Elementary Vocal Music Teacher
- Matt Takeno – Woodbridge High School Visual Arts Teacher
Sponsored by Orange County Music and Arts Administrators, the Segerstrom Center for the Arts and the Orange County Department of Education, the Orange County Music and Arts Educators Awards program annually spotlights exemplary teachers and administrators who oversee instrumental, vocal, theater, dance and visual arts programs at schools throughout the county.