INTRADISTRICT/SCHOOL CHOICE GUIDELINES:
The Irvine Unified School Intradistrict/School Choice process provides the opportunity for parents/legal guardians to request a school other than their assigned school. The condition which restricts this policy is space availability.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
Click here for School of Choice Timeline for middle school and high school.
The Intradistrict/School Choice lottery window will open on January 2, 2023 at 8:00 a.m. and will close on January 27, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. Requests received during the lottery window dates will receive consideration regardless of date received within the window.
Elementary requests (K-6) submitted through the Parent Portal will not be processed. For information on how to submit an elementary school choice request for 2023-24, please see the 'Elementary Grades' tab below.
*Note: Jeffrey Trail Middle School is only open to requests for siblings of concurrently enrolled Jeffrey Trail Middle School students for the 2023-24 school year. Jeffrey Trail Middle School is closed to general Intradistrict/School Choice requests and any requests made for Jeffrey Trail Middle School without a concurrently enrolled sibling will not be processed.
*Note: Sierra Vista Middle School is only open to requests for siblings of concurrently enrolled Sierra Vista Middle School students for the 2023-24 school year. Sierra Vista Middle School is closed to general Intradistrict/School Choice requests and any requests made for Sierra Vista Middle School without a concurrently enrolled sibling will not be processed.
*Note: Portola High School is only open to requests for siblings of concurrently enrolled Portola High School students for the 2023-24 school year. Portola High School is closed to general Intradistrict/School Choice requests and any requests made for Portola High School without a concurrently enrolled sibling will not be considered.
*Note: If you would like to request San Joaquin Middle School or San Joaquin High School (IVA) for the 2023/2024 school year, please submit this request through the school choice process. This process is to request FULL time enrollment at IVA.
FOR CURRENTLY ENROLLED IUSD STUDENTS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL & HIGH SCHOOL ONLY, YOU MAY SUBMIT A LOTTERY THROUGH YOUR PARENT PORTAL BY FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW. ** Please contact the requested elementary school directly for students in elementary grades regarding school choice. ** Requests submitted through the Parent Portal for elementary school grades will not be processed. Click on the Elementary Grades tab below for further instructions.
- Click on the banner titled: The 2023-24 Intradistrict/School Choice lottery window is open
- Under the Student Info tab, click on School of Choice Requests
- Review the Parent Acknowledgement and Instructions
- Click on Create New School Choice Request
- Complete the request and SAVE
You may log into your Parent Portal account to view the status of your request. Due to the high volume of requests received, we are unable to provide status updates regarding a request.
FOR STUDENTS CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN A PRIVATE/NON-IUSD SCHOOL WHO RESIDE WITHIN THE ATTENDANCE BOUNDARY AREA OF IUSD AND WISH TO SUBMIT AN INTRADISTRICT/SCHOOL CHOICE LOTTERY REQUEST TO A SCHOOL OTHER THAN THE ASSIGNED RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL, PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT A REQUEST. ** If you are a current IUSD student, submitting a request via this link will not be processed.
- Transferring your child to a different school other than their assigned school may result in your child not matriculating with his/her peers.
- Parent/Legal Guardian must provide transportation to the requested school.
- Due to the high volume of requests, we are unable to provide status updates regarding your request.
- Middle school students who live in the Columbus Grove area that are assigned to Lakeside MS and would like to exercise choice to have their child attend Venado, should use the Intradistrict/School choice process to submit a request.