Interdistrict Attendance Permits
|*The IUSD Office is currently closed to the public due to Covid-19; please refrain from bringing documents to the building.|
The Interdistrict Transfer process applies to those parents who wish their children to attend school in a district other than that in which they reside. All Interdistrict requests must be initiated in the district of residence. Interdistrict transfers are valid for one year only and must be renewed annually. An approved Interdistrict agreement must be in effect between the district of residence and the school district of desired attendance before a student can attend the desired school.
* For more information on space availability, please click Enrollment Restrictions.
Status of interdistrict transfer application
- We are not able to provide the status of a pending application. Notifications will be sent in writing once a decision has been made. For questions other than the status of an application, email StudentServices@iusd.org.
- For Incoming Transfer requests, final notification will be mailed to the parent/guardian’s residential address.
- For Outgoing Transfers, final notification will come from the requested school district.
interdistrict submission windows
For 2022-23 Interdistrict Transfer renewals: submission window will open January 3, 2022.
For new 2022-23 Interdistrict Transfer applications: submission window will open April 11, 2022. Any requests submitted prior to this date will be returned.
interdistrict transfer timeline
Requests will be processed in accordance with CA Ed Code 46600.2:
- For traditional schools requested: Applications received from April 11, 2022, to August 18, 2022, will be notified as soon as possible, but up to 14 calendar days after the new term begins.
- For year-round schools requested: Applications received before July 13, 2022, will be notified as soon as possible, but up to 14 calendar days after the new term begins.
- Applications received after the first day of the 2022-23 school year begins, will be notified within 30 days from the date the application was received.
outgoing interdistrict transfers
Requests to attend school outside of IUSD
For students that reside in IUSD boundaries and are requesting to attend schools in another district, please complete the following:
1. Contact or view the requesting school district's website for their application window period (IUSD will process Outgoing Requests accordingly).
2. Complete the Interdistrict Transfer form. The parent/guardian must initial on each line of the Terms and Conditions and sign the application. Click here to print out an Interdistrict Transfer Agreement form. Digital signatures/initials will not be accepted.
3. Gather supporting documentation for the Reason of the Request; this must be submitted with your application or it will delay processing.
4. Mail the application and supporting documentation to:
Irvine Unified School District
Attention: Student Services - Transfers
5050 Barranca Pkwy
Irvine, CA 92604
5. Due to the high volume of submissions received, we are unable to provide details regarding a request. Irvine Unified School District currently has a processing turn-around time of 2 weeks once the original hard copy and supporting documentation is received; timing is subject to change.
incoming interdistrict transfers
Requests to attend iusd schools
Incoming transfer applications begin with your Residence District. Interdistrict Applications for 2020-21 will only be accepted via regular mail until further notice. Once received, IUSD will begin the review process. Final approval or denial notifications will be sent via regular mail.
applicable interdistrict transfer conditions
The following conditions apply:
- Students admitted to Irvine Unified School District under the Interdistrict Transfer agreement shall be assigned to schools where space is available at the discretion and determination of IUSD administration.
- IUSD does not participate in the Allen Bill.
- Interdistrict transfers are valid for one year only and must be renewed annually.
- Interdistrict applications will be required if the student is a first time applicant in grades 11 or 12.
- If the attendance, behavior and scholarship of the student are reviewed and any, or all, are found to be unsatisfactory as determined by school administration, the transfer may be revoked, except for students entering grade 11 or 12 in the subsequent school year.
- When a students’ residency changes, the parent/guardian shall notify the school within 5 days of the change in residence.
- Transportation, if needed, shall be the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- Childcare, if needed, shall be the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- All students and schools are subject to all California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) athletic eligibility rules and regulations. Approved transfers should not be understood to mean that any CIF rules or regulations have been waived.
- If an Interdistrict Transfer agreement request is denied, the parent/guardian has the opportunity to appeal the decision to the IUSD Transfer Review Committee within 10 calendar days of the date of the denial.
- If an Interdistrict Transfer Appeal is denied, the parent/guardian has the opportunity to appeal the decision to Orange County Department of Education within 30 calendar days of the date of the final denial.
- A student, parent, or guardian who provides a false address and/or other pertinent data as a basis for enrollment in any school in the District may have the transfer revoked. The revocation may be immediate and notice promptly given to the student and parent/guardian.
- Parent/Guardian will be notified of the Interdistrict Transfer final decision within 30 calendar days from the date the request was received.
- Parent/Guardian will be notified of subsequent school year Interdistrict Transfer final decision as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the commencement of instruction in the school year for which Interdistrict transfer is sought.
- Failure of the parent to meet required timelines, including submission of supporting documents, will be deemed an abandonment of the Interdistrict Transfer request.
- IUSD reserves the right to deny transfer requests or release students for the following reasons: adverse impact on ethnic balance; insufficient state aid; lack of documentation concerning employment within the identified district, lack of facilities either district wide or in a specific attendance/school; lack of suitable or impacted special education programs; student history of unsatisfactory attendance, scholarship or behavior.
- With regard to Interdistrict Transfer of special education programs, funding agreements between districts shall be in accordance with the AB 602 funding model. This transfer does not authorize release of special education funds to the receiving district from IUSD.
Interdistrict attendance agreements shall be non-tuition unless Federal Impact Aid is involved. Under a non-tuition agreement, the financial apportionment for regular education students shall be credited to the district of attendance and not the district of residence.