Interdistrict Attendance Permits
The Interdistrict Transfer process applies to those parents who wish their children to attend school in a district other than that in which they reside. All Interdistrict requests must be initiated in the district of residence. Interdistrict transfers are valid for one year only and must be renewed annually. An approved Interdistrict agreement must be in effect between the district of residence and the school district of desired attendance before a student can attend the desired school.
* For more information on space availability, please click Enrollment Restrictions.
We are not able to provide status of a pending application.
Notifications will be sent in writing once a decision has been made.
The 2020-21 Interdistrict Transfer window is open. Requests will be processed in accordance with CA Ed Code. For Incoming Transfer requests, final notification will be mailed from the Student Services Office. For Outgoing Transfer requests, final notification will come from the school district you are requesting to attend.
> OUTGOING INTERDISTRICT TRANSFERS: Requests to attend school outside of IUSD
For students that reside in IUSD boundaries and are requesting to attend schools in another district, please complete the following:
1. Contact or view the requesting school district's website for their 2020-21 application window period.
2. Complete the Interdistrict Transfer form. The parent/guardian must initial on each line of the Terms and Conditions and sign the application. Click here to print out an Interdistrict Transfer Agreement form. Digital signatures/initials will not be accepted.
3. Gather supporting documentation for the Reason of the Request; this must be submitted with your application or it will delay processing.
4. Mail the application and supporting documentation to:
Irvine Unified School District
Attention: Student Services - Transfers
5050 Barranca Pkwy
Irvine, CA 92604
***The District Office is currently closed to the public due to Covid-19; please refrain from bringing documents to the building.
5. Due to the high volume of submissions received, we are unable to provide details regarding a request. Irvine Unified School District currently has a processing turn-around time of 2 weeks once the original hard copy is received; timing is subject to change.
> INCOMING INTERDISTRICT TRANSFERS: Requests to attend IUSD schools
Incoming transfer applications begin with your Residence District. Interdistrict Applications for 2020-21 will only be accepted via regular mail until further notice. Once received, IUSD will begin the review process. Final notification will be sent via regular mail if the transfer request has been approved or denied. ***Due to the high volume of submissions received, we are unable to provide details for a pending request. Incoming Interdistrict Transfer requests may be processed within 14 days from start of the 2020-2021 school year.
The following conditions apply:
- Students admitted to Irvine Unified School District under the interdistrict agreement shall be assigned to schools where space is available at the discretion and determination of IUSD administration.
- IUSD does not participate in the Allen Bill.
- Interdistrict transfers are valid for one year only and must be renewed annually, except for continuing students on an existing interdistrict transfer entering grades 11 or 12 in the subsequent school year. Interdistrict applications will be required if the student is a first time applicant in grades 11 or 12.
- If the attendance, behavior and scholarship of the student are reviewed and any, or all, are found to be unsatisfactory as determined by school administration, the transfer may be revoked, except for students entering grade 11 or 12 in the subsequent school year.
- When a students’ residency changes, the parent/guardian shall notify the school within 5 days of the change in residence.
- Transportation, if needed, shall be the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- Childcare, if needed, shall be the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- All students and schools are subject to all California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) athletic eligibility rules and regulations. Approved transfers should not be understood to mean that any CIF rules or regulations have been waived.
- If an interdistrict transfer agreement request is denied, the parent/guardian has the opportunity to appeal the decision to Orange County Department of Education within 30 calendar days of the date of the denial.
- A student, parent, or guardian who provides a false address and/or other pertinent data as a basis for enrollment in any school in the District may have the transfer revoked. The revocation may be immediate and notice promptly given to the student and parent/guardian.
- IUSD reserves the right to deny transfer requests or release students for the following reasons: adverse impact on ethnic balance; insufficient state aid; lack of documentation concerning employment within the identified district, lack of facilities either district wide or in a specific attendance/school; lack of suitable or impacted special education programs; student history of unsatisfactory attendance, scholarship or behavior.
- With regard to Interdistrict Transfer of special education programs, funding agreements between districts shall be in accordance with the AB 602 funding model. This transfer does not authorize release of special education funds to the receiving district from IUSD.
Interdistrict attendance agreements shall be non-tuition unless Federal Impact Aid is involved. Under a non-tuition agreement, the financial apportionment for regular education students shall be credited to the district of attendance and not the district of residence.