On Wednesday, May 30, IUSD broke ground on Loma Ridge Elementary School, the District’s soon-to-be 24th elementary school, which is expected to open August 2019. This state-of-the-art education facility will serve the Portola Springs neighborhood in north Irvine.
Continuing IUSD’s tradition of excellence, Loma Ridge features include:
- State-of-the-art classrooms and multipurpose room
- Collaborative commons with flexible learning spaces and furniture to support large and small group instruction, collaboration and more individualized attention for students
- Kindergarten classrooms and play area connected to the administration building
- Dedicated music rooms
- Design and innovation labs
- Science labs
- Library/media center
- Lunch and play areas, as well as play fields
- Outdoor learning and collaboration spaces
During the groundbreaking ceremony, IUSD Board of Education Members Paul Bokota, Lauren Brooks, Betty Carol, Ira Glasky and Sharon Wallin were joined by Superintendent Terry L. Walker, Loma Ridge Principal Jenna Berumen, IUSD staff, the Irvine Unified Council PTA, Mayor Wagner and other City of Irvine officials, the Irvine Company, and community representatives.
Since 2013, IUSD has opened and/or begun construction on a new school to support Irvine’s growing population and the District’s more than 34,000 students. This is in addition to the passage of Measure E by Irvine voters and the implementation of the first Measure E funding series. Throughout this period of unprecedented growth, IUSD has remained one of the highest performing school districts in the nation.
Below are schools that have opened since 2013:
- Cadence Park School (K-8) – Scheduled to Open August 2018
- Eastwood Elementary – Opened in August 2017
- Portola High School – Opened in August 2016
- Beacon Park School (K-8) – Opened in August 2016
- Portola Springs – Opened August 2015
- Cypress Village – Opened August 2014
- Jeffrey Trail Middle School – Opened August 2013