As you prepare for the hot summer months, filled with fun and long days in the sun, IUSD would like to take this opportunity to share important water safety reminders from the Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA). IUSD has partnered with OCFA on a water safety campaign for Irvine and below are links to helpful handouts from OCFA in five languages, which can be printed and placed on your refrigerator or somewhere visible for the whole family. Also, please share this information with caregivers.
ABCs of Water Safety
Remember the ABC’s of water safety:
- A – Active Adult Supervision
- B – Barriers to prevent toddlers and children from falling into the pool
- C – Classes, so children know how to swim is important. Do not rely on swimming aids for safety
- If a child or adult is missing, every second counts. Check the water and the bottom of the pool FIRST!
Click on the links below for more information about the ABC’s of water safety
Water Safety Rules
Water safety rules for swimmers of any age include:
- Never swim alone
- Follow the ABC’s of water safety
- Go feet first into the water
- Play safely in and around water
- Don’t sit or play on drains, which can trap and injure swimmers
Click on the links below for more information.
Another helpful resource is OCFA’s drowning prevention webpage, which includes tips and videos. http://www.ocfa.org/SafetyPrograms/DrowningPrevention.aspx
Have a fun and safe summer!