The Irvine Prevention Coalition, in partnership with the Irvine Unified School District, PTA and the Irvine Public Schools Foundation, is hosting a lecture from well-known adolescent psychologist Dr. Jerry Weichman about the impact positive social relationships have on teenagers’ mental health and physical well-being. This free event, which is open to the public, is on March 27 from 6-8 p.m. at the Irvine Civic Center in the Council Chamber. No RSVP required.
Discussion topics include:
- The state of teenagers — what are they thinking, doing, and why.
- The newest trends and behaviors facing teens in Irvine.
- Tips for building rapport, increasing communication, and gaining respect.
- How to identify a teen in trouble, and the best ways to support them.
- Ways to diffuse an escalated situation with a student.
- Warning signs that everyone should be keeping an eye out for.
- Effective mental health tools you can teach students/children.
- Simple coping techniques to help you remain in control and maintain composure.
For more information, including Dr. Weichman’s biography, click here.