Dear IUSD Community,
On behalf of IUSD leadership, teachers and staff, we are excited to welcome our new and returning students to the 2021-22 school year, which starts on Thursday, August 19 with both in-person instruction and the IUSD Virtual Academy. IUSD’s priority continues to be the health and safety of our students, staff and families, while providing academic excellence that has come to define our District.
This is the first in a series of communications to provide our families with important and helpful information related to the upcoming school year. The information below is focused on IUSD’s 2021-22 Safety and Planning Guide and our efforts to safely welcome students back to our campuses.
Important Health and Safety Reminders
IUSD’s planning is aligned to the California Department of Public Health’s guidelines for TK-12 schools which provide a pathway for students to return to full-time in-person instruction. As previously communicated in our July 14 message, students and staff are required to wear masks while indoors at school, regardless of vaccination status. Masks are no longer required outdoors. These guidelines have also been affirmed by the Orange County Health Care Agency and the Orange County Department of Education in a joint statement.
In addition, IUSD will continue to implement health and safety mitigation measures, including upgraded HVAC systems, standalone air purification units in learning and office spaces, enhanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols, access to frequent hand washing and hand sanitizer stations, and the use of outdoor and flexible learning spaces to the extent possible. For more information about these and other measures, please review our 2021-22 Safety and Planning Guide.
IUSD’s 2021-22 Safety and Planning Guide
The 2021-22 Safety and Planning Guide is a web resource that provides information about IUSD’s planning, protocols and mitigation efforts to prevent and limit the spread of COVID-19. The following information is included in the guide.
- Links to the California Department of Public Health TK-12 guidelines for California schools
- Information about IUSD’s health and safety mitigation efforts and health guidelines
- IUSD’s COVID-19 Safety Plan
- District and school notification processes, in the event of a positive COVID-19 case(s) or close contact exposure(s) on campus
- The IUSD COVID-19 Dashboard
- Links to IVA, Special Education, Nutrition Services, and mental health and wellness resources
- An FAQ from the California Department of Public Health
- Resources and supports for IUSD families and staff
- An archive of IUSD 2021-22 COVID-19 related messages
- A Latest News section, where we provide timely updates and links to communications and information. Please check this section regularly throughout the year and as always, we will continue to directly communicate updates and information to the IUSD community as well
- Contact information by topic and/or department and information about how to stay connected to IUSD
- Links to national, state and local expert health agencies
Let’s Do Our Part
In addition to following state guidelines, please remember keep students home when they are sick, encourage frequent hand washing, and remind students to cover their noses and mouths when coughing or sneezing. Please visit our Health and Safety page or our Health Services page for more information and resources.
Thank You for Your Partnership
Thank you for taking the time to review this important information, including the state’s guidelines for schools. Together, we can all do our part to help keep schools safe.