Due to the COVID-19 public health crisis, our students may experience a myriad of emotions. The loss of normalcy and connection, along with possible economic and health or other concerns can result in stress, anxiety and fear. It’s important to acknowledge these feelings, learn ways to manage them and access resources when needed. Below are some resources, services and contacts provided by IUSD’s Prevention and Intervention team, as part of the District’s Speak Up We Care initiative, which may be helpful our for students and families.
As new information or resources are available, IUSD will update this page. Please check back regularly.
Coping with Stress
- Tools for Self-Care : Self-care Toolkit at Gritx.org
- Tips for Managing Anxiety and Stress
- Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks
- Coping Strategies
- 30 Activities to Support Emotional Health
- Prevention and Intervention provides social-emotional and behavioral supports for students.
- Speak Up We Care – iusd.org/WeCare
- IUSD Mental Health and Wellness Contacts
- IUSD high school wellness mental health specialists, elementary resource counseling specialists, and guidance assistants are available. Click here for contact information. Please allow 24-48 hours for a response, with the exception of holiday breaks, weekends and when offices are closed.
- Middle and high school counselors are available to provide students with academic, social/emotional, and college and career support. Click here for the School Counselors Directory.
- Say Something Anonymous Reporting System enables students to seek support anonymously for themselves or for friends. Three ways to use the system are:
- 1-844-5-SAYNOW or 1-844-572-9669
- Mobil App- available for free on the App Store for IOS and Google Play for Android
If immediate assistance is needed, do not wait for a response from these IUSD resources. For emergencies, call 911. Also, see the following emergency resources below.
- OC Links: 855-625-4657
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Crisis Assessment Team (mobile county team): 866-830-6011
- California Youth Crisis Line: 1-800-843-5200
- Crisis Text Line: text HOME to 741714
- Didi Hirsch Mental Health 24-hour Crisis Line: 1-877-727-4747
- Irvine Police Department: 949-724-7000 (non-emergency line)
- Orange County Child Protective Services
- California resources for emotional support and wellness
- Orange County Child, Elder and Dependent Abuse Reporting and Resources
Community Mental Health Providers
As a reminder, please access your regular mental health provider for support. If you have private insurance, consider calling your carrier for a referral list that matches your child’s needs.
For those who are seeking alternatives, here are some on-line therapy options:
The above list is not a comprehensive list of providers in Orange County and is not a formal referral from IUSD. Please use discretion in selecting a mental health provider.