The Irvine Police Department, in partnership with IUSD and the PTA, has created a traffic safety video with important tips for pedestrians, bicyclists and drivers in and around school zones, driveways and crosswalks. When it comes to the safety of our students on the roadways, we're in this together! Let’s get them to and from school safely.
IPD Traffic Safety Tips:
- Leave early. You won’t have to rush if you plan for a little extra time.
- Obey all traffic, bike and pedestrian laws and signs, especially in school zones.
- When biking or skating wear a proper fitting helmet.
- Drop children off in the designated locations. Do not allow children to get out of the car in the middle of the street.
- Remember that everyone has the same goal of getting their children to school safely, so be patient with other drivers and pedestrians.
- Always obey crossing guards.
- Always use crosswalks.
- Do not engage in distracted driving. This is especially dangerous in school zones.
- IPD traffic officers patrol the streets near schools to ensure safety. Remember to slow down and make complete stops at stop signs.
To watch the video with more safety tips, click here.