IUSD is excited to extend a warm welcome to our new and returning students. We wish you a wonderful 2018-19 school year!
As you know, for the next couple of weeks, there will be heavier than usual traffic in and around our campuses. Please remember to leave plenty of time for drop offs and pick-ups, drive slowly, and watch for students walking, biking, crossing streets, and in parking lots.
Once in the school parking lot, please follow all traffic signs and directions from principals and school staff. Also, below are safety tips from the Irvine Police Department (IPD) and a link to the IPD Suggested Safe Routes to School document for elementary schools.
IPD Traffic Safety Tips:
- Leave early. The first couple of weeks of school bring heavier traffic. You won’t have to rush if you plan for a little extra time.
- Obey all traffic laws and signs in school zones.
- Drop children off in the designated locations. Do not allow children to get out of the car in the middle of the street.
- Remember that everyone has the same goal of getting their children to school safely, so be patient with other drivers and pedestrians.
- Always obey crossing guards.
- Always use crosswalks.
- Do not engage in distracted driving. This is especially dangerous in school zones.
- IPD traffic officers patrol the streets near schools to ensure safety. Remember to slow down and make complete stops at stop signs.