Mental Health Intern Program
Thank you for considering an internship through the Irvine Unified School District’s ERMHS & Wellness program! Enhance your resume with a range of opportunities throughout the elementary, junior high, high school, and adult education levels as we offer a high caliber program focused on developing the clinical and case management skills of MSW interns, MSW PPSC interns and MFT trainees.
We offer two internship track opportunities: Educationally Related Mental Health Services (ERMHS) and Wellness Coordinator. Both tracks offer supportive and challenging weekly supervision to consult on cases, explore legal and ethical dilemmas and prepare students for licensure, as well as a wide variety of training opportunities to gain additional skills and exposure to the mental health field.
Learn Evidence-Based Models
We utilize the Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) framework to provide academic, behavioral, and social-emotional support to all students within our District in order to be successful in school.
ERMHS INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT
Open to MSW and MSW PPSC students. With the opportunity to work with students ranging from the elementary school level to adult education program.
- Provide individual, group, and/or parent counseling to special education students
- Provide support in self-contained behavioral programs across grade levels
- Support in conducting educationally-related mental health services assessments
- Serve as a member of an IEP team
- Develop and track progress on IEP goals
- Collaborate as a member of a multidisciplinary teams
- Opportunities for macro-projects available
WELLNESS COORDINATOR INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT
The Wellness Coordinator Internship is comprised of MSW and MSW PPSC students who will be fully integrated into the middle school and/or high school settings. Interns will have the opportunity to work in various ways within each tier of the MTSS model
Hone your skills:
- Provide direct services: individual/group counseling and case management
- Screen for high-risk behaviors/concerns
- Participate and collaborate in school/staff meetings: IEP, SART, SIT, multi-disciplinary
- Provide mental health consultation/education: parents, school staff, students
Be Challenged and Supported:
- Thorough intern orientation prior to placement
- Weekly individual AND group supervision: case presentations, diagnosis, legal/ethical discussion
- Trainings and presentations: child abuse, substance abuse, self-harm, and MORE!
As an intern you will get the opportunity to work independently from your supervisor and enhance your skills in problem solving, self-initiation, time management, and flexibility.