BOARD POLICY - 3140
The Irvine Unified School District has a long tradition of integrity and service. These are a part of our district’s core values and are reflected in the way we serve our clients -- parents and students -- each day. We are committed to protecting your privacy.
We want you to know about the personal information we collect, how we protect that information, how we use that information, and with whom it might be shared.
Collection of Information
We collect and maintain non-public personal information in order to:
- provide information regarding school programs, policies, activities
- assure legal compliance for enrollment, immunization
- provide appropriate safety and health services
- emergency contacts
- providing information re student progress
- aggregate data for consideration of policy and program changes.
We will not collect any personal information you do not volunteer, and we are the sole owner of all information collected on this site.
We maintain records of student behavior and achievement while enrolled in IUSD schools. These records include attendance, immunization, achievement, disciplinary events, and test results.
Sharing and Use of Information
While acknowledging the importance of protecting client information, we may find it necessary in the course of conducting business to disclose information we collect about you as permitted by law. This would occur in some or all of the following circumstances:
- Information may be shared with non-affiliated third parties as permitted or required by law, such as compliance with a subpoena, fraud prevention, or compliance with an inquiry from a government agency or regulator.
- Personal health information will be shared with only proper written authorization or as required by law. We will not share medical information for marketing purposes.
- We limit employee access to non-public personal information to those who need to know this information in order to serve our clients.
- School records may be shared with the following:
- officials of other schools or educational institutions in which a student seeks, or intends to enroll
- federal, state, and local government employees needing information about a student to fulfill their assigned responsibilities
- accrediting organizations in order to carryout their accrediting functions
- members of a School Attendance Review Board (SARB)
- the California Student Information System
- members of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF)
- Limited directory information may be shared as listed below unless the parent requests in writing that such information be kept confidential.
- Name, address, and telephone number of high school juniors and seniors may be released to federal, state, and local government agencies and the military forces of the United States, public and private trade or professional schools.
- Name, parent name, school, birth date, grade level, address and telephone numbers of pupils may be released to school-affiliated organizations, such as PTA, booster clubs, Irvine Public Schools Foundation, alumni associations, and local law enforcement or public safety agencies.
- Name, address, and age, as well as height and weight, of pupils participating in athletics and other school activities and pupils receiving scholastic or other honors and awards may be released to press, television, radio, or other news organizations, and the California Interscholastic Federation.
- Other provisions of the law permit access to non-directory information in pupil records without parental consent, or student 18-years-of-age-or-over consent to the following:
- school and district personnel with legitimate educational interest, as defined in district policy
- out-of-district schools to which student is transferring
- specified federal and state educational administrators
- prospective grantors of student financial aid
- specified state and local law enforcement agencies
- appropriate persons concerned with the health and safety of students or others in case of emergency
- School Attendance Review Boards
- Court Order
- Others requesting information contained in the school records will require written approval of the natural parent, adoptive parent, or legal guardian or student, if 18 years or over.
- Any release of information shall conform to the provisions of the "Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act."
- Parents, or pupils over 16 years of age or having completed the tenth grade, may obtain copies of student records.
We never rent or sell a name or e-mail address to other on-line marketers of products or services without your consent. IUSD may provide third parties with aggregate statistics about our customers, traffic patterns, and related site information. These data do not contain identifying information about any individual client, unless that client has given us permission to share that information. See also IUSD Board Policy 5125 - Pupil Records.
Protecting the Information
We use manual and electronic security procedures to maintain the confidentiality of the information we collect and to guard against its unauthorized access or alteration. Such methods include locked files, user authentication, encryption, and firewall technology.
Your family portal account is password-protected.
Review and Access to Your Information
We will make information from your file available for your review. We are unable to provide information collected in connection with, or in anticipation of, any claim or lawsuit.
Options for changing and modifying information previously provided include:
- contacting your school office with the updated information
- making changes using your account on the District’s family portal
Obtaining Your Consent
By using our web site, you give IUSD permission to collect information about the pages served to you as an anonymous user for the purpose of calculating aggregate site statistics. If your student is enrolled in IUSD, you authorize IUSD to use information you provide to personalize some of the information we deliver to you, and to use your information when calculating aggregate client data.
Education Code 48900 Grounds for suspension or expulsion
Education Code 49061 Definitions
Education Code 49073 Release of directory information
Policy Adopted: August 27, 2002
Policy Revised: June 3, 2003