Nutrition Public Notices


Irvine Unified School District Student and Staff Wellness Policy (IUSD Board Policy 5030)

School Breakfast Program Notification

Unpaid meal charge policy 

If a student does not have money to purchase their meal, the following steps will be taken:

  • Elementary school students are allowed to charge up to two full-priced meals.
  • Secondary school students are generally allowed to charge one meal.

Only meals may be charged, no a la carte items may be charged.

Once an account has incurred a negative balance reflecting the amounts listed above, the student will be given an USDA-approved courtesy meal until their negative balance is paid.  The courtesy meal consists of an 8oz milk, string cheese, crackers, apple, and choice of fruit and vegetable. 

Parents are made aware of their student’s negative balance by:

  1. Cafeteria staff will discreetly remind students that they need to place money on their account.
  2. Weekly automated emails are sent to households.
  3. IUSD staff may contact households via phone.

If a household is unable to pay for their child’s meals, they are strongly encouraged to apply for free or reduced price meals via or paper applications, which are available in the Nutrition Services Office.  Applications are accepted any time throughout the year.


Dormant Meal prepayment Funds

On April 17, 2007, the IUSD Board of Education authorized that any and all funds remaining in a student's Nutrition Services account more than six (6) months after a student has left the District (i.e. graduation, transferring to another district, etc.) will become property of the District, unless a refund is requested prior.

Board of Education Meeting Minutes, April 17, 2007, Page 5


USDA Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

1.  Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
             Office of the Asst. Secretary for Civil Rights
             1400 Independence Avenue, SW
             Washington, D.C.  20250-9410;
2.  Fax:  (202) 690-7442; or

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.