Click Here to visit Northwood's PTA Website
- Current Events
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Order Spirit Wear
- Much Much More!
WELCOME BACK 2016-2017
August 17, 2016
Dear Northwood Parents,
Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year at Northwood Elementary! I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself, as I might be new to some of you, I am not new to Northwood or IUSD. During the 2015-2016 school year. I supported students, staff, and the administrative team at Northwood as a Teacher on Special Assignment (TOSA). This experience allowed me to become familiar with Northwood's culture, staff, students and community.
Our students are fortunate to be here at Northwood because of our enthusiastic parent community. The staff and I extend a special thanks to the many dedicated and supportive parents who devote their time and energy to make many school-wide and community events possible. I would like to encourage you to become a member of the Northwood Elementary Parent Teacher Association (PTA). What can YOU do?
Friday, August 19th
Join us for a Meet and Greet on the Blacktop 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Class assignments will be available only through our Parent Portal on Tuesday, August 23rd after 1:00 PM.
You can access your child’s class assignment by following the directions below:
- Go to login page : https://my.iusd.org/
- Key in your email address and password. Click on “Log In”.
- You will be taken to your home page with your child’s information. The tabs shown on the home screen will take you to information regarding your child. If you move your cursor to a tab and hold it, you will see any sub-tabs that are available:
- Go to the drop down Student Info Tab
- There will be a sub-tab under Student Info called Classes
- Once you have selected Classes you will see a screen that will give you information about your student’s teacher assignment. It will be listed under Current Classes.
Drop Off and Pick Up
Our parking lot can accommodate our staff but our school was designed for a walking community. With many parents driving, we are experiencing excessive traffic and delayed pick up for kids while fostering an atmosphere that could become dangerous for our community. Please make safety your first priority.
Please continue to visit the Northwood website. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read all of the information and supporting your child’s education. I am truly looking forward to a fantastic year at Northwood!
Ms. Janelle Kellar, Principal
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
When children report for the first day of school, Wednesday, August 24th, they should line up on the blacktop in their classroom line, where their teacher will greet them. School personnel will be at the front landing and sides of the school to provide directions to class for anyone having difficulty finding their classroom.
Re-Registration Process (Online First Day Packet) - All families need to complete the online Re-Reg process.This is a requirement for ALL students and can be completed in the IUSD Parent Portal.
Wednesday, August 24th
- FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL begins at 8:15 am
- Meet and Greet: 8:30am-9:30 by back lunch tables
- Kindergarten Parent Orientation: 8:30 am in Multipupose room
- Minimum Day: Gr. 1-3 1:15pm, Gr. 4-6 1:40pm
- All Kindergarteners 8:15 - 11:35am
Welcome Back Celebration
Friday, August 26th
Join us as we kick off the year at our Welcome Back Celebration with Taco and Movie Night this Friday. Food will be served from 5:30 p.m., and the movie will begin promptly at 7:30 p.m. Taco night is sponsored by the PTA, and the movie is generously sponsored by, real estate agent, Monica Carr, and is free to all Northwood families. We will have a PTA booth where you can find information on membership and volunteering opportunities. We are requesting that each family bring a donation of at least one ream of copy paper to the event. The PTA will also have paper available for purchase for $5.00.
Please join us to celebrate the beginning of a great school year and to reconnect with Northwood friends.
Monday, August 29th
- Monday Morning Meeting to kick off the school year, 8:15 am on the playground
Wednesday, August 31st - Friday, September 2nd
- Minimum Day: Gr. 1 - 3, 1:15pm, Gr. 4 - 6, 1:40pm
Thursday, September 1st
- Back to School Night, minimum day schedule
New Student Enrollment
Rev up your reading!
eBooks from Overdrive
IUSD students and staff can access high-interest fiction on a computer, Chromebook, tablet or most smartphones through our district subscription to Overdrive. While users can see all available titles, only titles available to their grade will open. This library is open 24/7!
Click here for the flyer
Use Chrome, Firefox, Safari or IE to login to the IUSD Overdrive account.
Use your regular computer credentials to login. (not your GAFE account)
Our parking lot can accommodate our staff but our school was designed for a walking community. With many parents driving, we are experiencing excessive traffic and delayed pick up for kids while fostering an atmosphere that could become dangerousfor our community. After observing our traffic patterns, I would like for you to consider one or more of the following options in order to provide a safer environment for our Northwood students, staff and parents:
- Walk - It's healthy, environmentally friendly, and a great way to bond with others.
Parents can wait in one of three areas:
- In front of the school
- Next to the park (must stay on grass - the blacktop is for instructional use)
- Next to entrance off Lewis (please stay near wall)
- Park on the street OR in our our parking lot (pick up only) - Get out and walk your child to your car. This may cost a few extra minutes, but it will reduce the traffic back up and ensure your child is safely boarded inyour vehicle.
- Park Behind the School - There is a long stretch of sidewalk. If you drive in off of Trabuco, left on Lewis and then on Lindberg, you can park along the long stretch behind our school. Agree on a meeting place and have your child scan and look for your car behind our school - this is a great practice for upper grade students
- Please be respectful to our neighbors and do not block their driveway.
Please note that there is no supervision for students and students must be picked up within 10 minutes of dismissal.
Students can simply log on to http://stmath.com/
and enter their picture password to participate.
What is ST Math? Created by MIND Research Institute, Spatial-Temporal (ST) Math®
is game-based instructional software for K-12 and is designed to boost math comprehension and proficiency through visual learning. Integrating with classroom instruction, ST Math incorporates the latest research in learning and the brain and promotes mastery-based learning and mathematical understanding. The ST Math
software games use interactive, graphically-rich animations that visually represent mathematical concepts to improve conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills. Whether in the classroom, computer lab or at home, learning never stops with ST Math.