Eastshore Elementary School
November 5, 2014
Thank you to all who joined us for our Halloween Parade on Friday! It was a great success and students and staff really outdid themselves this year with their costumes. We are very fortunate that our community continues to support this event – and we were super lucky that it fell on a Friday this yearJ.
November rolled in with cool weather and a little rain…we hope that this weather trend continues throughout the month. Please read on for information about the happenings at Eastshore this month…
SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL: Welcome to our School Site Council parent members for the 2014-2015 school year!
Tracee Isenberg Steven Tsai Sandy Viola
Along with our staff members Kathy Lawrence, Kim Leschke and Jen McGrath, the team met to get the year started. We reviewed the Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) and the timeline for establishing IUSD’s Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP). We also reviewed and approved the Site Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) in its draft form. New members have been invited to attend a training being held on November 6th at the district office. The School Site Council meets four times a year to discuss budget, current legislation and school business. They are your representatives so please share your thoughts, concerns and ideas with them so that they may bring that information to our meetings!
THANKSGIVING FOOD DRIVE: Our school will be participating in a Thanksgiving food drive to support Families Forward – something we participate in every year. Flyers will go out this Thursday indicating which items are specific to each grade level to bring in to help support families in need in our community. There will be bins at the front of the school where donations may be deposited.
LEGAL REMINDERS: Please be aware of the following city/county ordinances, laws and policies that affect our school and community:
- Dogs (and other animals) are not allowed on campus at any time per the Irvine Unified School District (signage located at the entrance and the back of the school).
- Sec. 4-1-46. Public school property; county parks, public beaches and county buildings.
- No person having the charge of any dog, except a blind, deaf or disabled person with his or her guide dog, signal dog or service dog, or a person training a guide, signal or service dog, shall permit said dog to be under any circumstances within public school property…
- The sidewalk between the driveways is a loading zone only – cars parked and left unattended in this area may be issued citations by the Irvine Police Department.
- Parents may not wait at classroom doors before or after school unless they have a scheduled appointment with the teacher, nor may they enter the MPR to drop off or pick up instruments for their children.
EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS: At the last P.T.A. meeting, a presentation centered on school readiness for emergency situations was shared. Parents at the meeting made some great suggestions for making our community aware of our practices and procedures. Thanks to these suggestions you can now find FAQs on our school website
(click on the school information tab). We will make this information part of the re-registration process which takes place each fall. There was also an email sent out to all Eastshore families with the contents of the presentation.
If you would like to assist our staff in implementing our safety drills, please contact the front office.
P.T.A. NEWS: If you have not already done so, please register for the Ralphs and Target rewards programs which benefit our school directly. You can also click on the Ways to Help link to find out how shopping on Amazon and at Office Depot can also benefit our school. Information about these and other programs can be found on our P.T.A. website (www.eastshorepta.com). There are several P.T.A. events this month:
- Yearbook Cover Contest (ends November 12)
- Halloween Candy Give Back (Friday, November 7)
- Pancake Breakfast (Friday, November 7)
- Eastshore Dines Out at Chik-Fil-A (Wednesday, November 19)
IPSF NEWS: The Annual Campaign is underway! Please view the attached IPSF Highlights for more information.
We wish you and your family a most wonderful Thanksgiving! We are thankful for your support and the community in which we live and work.
Thursday, November 6 SSC Training @ IUSD office, 6-7 p.m.
Friday, November 7 Pancake Breakfast
Wear your P.J.s to school
Candy Give Back Drive
November 10-19 Families Forward Food Drive
Tuesday, November 11 Veteran’s Day – no school
Wednesday, November 12 Yearbook Cover Contest ends
Friday, November 14 Friday Flag Fanfare
Wednesday, November 19 Eastshore Dines Out-Chik-Fil-A
November 24-28 Thanksgiving Holiday – no school