Please click here to read our Canyon View Informational Brochure.
Based on student learning results, Canyon View School has distinguished itself over its fourteen years of existence. Earning an Academic Performance Index score of 963 in 2012, Canyon View continues to be recognized as a top performing school in Orange County. Canyon View contributes the largest number of elementary science projects at the district science fair. School artists and musicians are regularly featured in I.U.S.D. Honor Band and chorus performances, as well as numerous art shows, such as the Laguna Beach Festival of Arts, the Imagination Celebration, City Hall and local merchant displays.
Canyon View School opened our doors for kindergarten through grade 6 at an interim portable site in September 1998, and moved to our current facility in spring, 2000. The Canyon View staff, in collaboration with our parents, students, and community partners, has created a broadly effective K-6 educational program that has received the highest state recognition -"California Distinguished School" both in 2002 and 2008, as well as national recognition as a "NCLB National Blue Ribbon School." Canyon View parents are deeply committed to our school and our staff, and ALL our students, and constantly look for ways to enrich our instructional program.
Our facility houses 36 classrooms, including dedicated spaces for special programs, such as music, art, science, and special day classes. The school has state-of-the-art tech infrastructure to support technology including 300 ports to the Internet and school-wide video capacity. An Information Resource Center (IRC) serves as an electronic hub for the three major wings of the school, providing information access and communication throughout the building, community and world. Each classroom is self-contained, and clusters of rooms adjoin a common technology satellite area to facilitate technology-supported teaching and learning.
Staff Beliefs and Philosophy
Canyon View is a community of respectful and responsible learners who succeed in a diverse and changing world.
- Every student is entitled to a safe and orderly learning environment.
- Each child deserves to be treated with respect.
- All students can learn and succeed, including the mastery of challenging concepts and processes.
- A challenging, safe-to-risk environment promotes successful learning and performance.
- Each teacher is responsible for meeting the needs of all students in the classroom.
- Thinking, values education and life-long learning skills are equally as important as content-based instruction.
- Students need many and varied opportunities to apply their learning in authentic contexts to successfully internalize and generalize their learning.
Our Staff and Community
Our dedicated staff has carefully addressed various learner needs, including gifted and talented students, special education students and limited English students representing twenty-two ethnic and language groups, through our standards-based system of education coupled with a system-wide 3-tier model of curriculum. Our success is a result of the hard work of your hugely committed stakeholders AND the effectiveness of our dedication to link rigorous standards, academic support, and assessment components to student outcomes. It’s through our leadership as well as collaboration with our families and community partners that, a positive school culture exists with targeted professional development to support all students. Our parents value literacy and learning, and they generously support the goals of the school program. Our mission is to empower students to succeed in a diverse and changing world. We welcome visitors to our campus and would like to invite you to experience our educational community firsthand.
Our STAR behavior Program
Safety first Take responsibility Act respectfully Reach for personal best
The Canyon View Staff has adopted a new school-wide behavior system which would create a positive social climate and, at the same time, enhance the learning environment. As a result of our year-long PBIS training, our school began the process of creating the STAR (Safety First, Take Responsibility, Act Respectfully, and Reach for Personal Best) program for Canyon View.
Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS) is a school-wide positive behavior system that is focused on defined behavior expectations and positive reinforcement for all students.
- Promoting school-wide behavior expectations Teaching behavioral expectations to all students in the various settings on campusFrequently acknowledging appropriate behaviorEstablishing a continuum of consequences for violating behavioral expectationsCollecting ongoing behavioral data to use for decision making
- Developing function-based support for students with chronic problem behavior
- Decrease in office discipline referralsIncrease in instructional time
- Increase in school safety and positive peer interactions
Schools that participate in PBIS find:
- Increased time for instructionElimination of 85% of problem behaviorsPositive school climateEffective school-wide behavioral and academic systemsMore efficient and effective responses to behaviorSupport for teaching diverse populationsSupport for students with severe problem behaviors
- Development of sustainable cultures of competence
At Canyon View, we treat each other with respect, value integrity, act responsibly and strive for a safe school for all. During this school year we will be implementing this new STAR system. Through our Canyon View STAR system, we will teach students expected school behaviors in the various settings on campus. We then will provide students with positive, immediate, and frequent reinforcement for these behaviors. When students are caught doing the right thing. Canyon View Staff will reward them with “STAR” tickets. The new Canyon View STAR system will increase student learning and decrease classroom disruptions on campus. Other student acknowledgement opportunities will include:
- Weekly recognition at our Monday Morning MeetingsMonthly STAR drawings in the classrooms
- Monthly Student of the Month recognition
School-Wide Behavioral Expecation Matrix
Our School Homework Plan
The Canyon View Staff is committed to supporting children in realizing their full academic, social and emotional potential. An essential component is a strong partnership between staff, students and their families. We believe that homework should be purposeful, reflect the rich instruction in our classrooms, and provide a vehicle for increased communication between staff, students and families. All homework assignments at Canyon View are designed to provide students with opportunities to practice academic skills, construct new meaning from content, instill foundational study skills and bridge school learning into the home environment.
Please click on the link below to access our homework plan.
Canyon View Elementary Homework Plan