“Perform at your best when your best is required.
Your best is required every day!”
~ Coach John Wooden
Please click here to view the Growth Mindset Presentation from the November PTA meeting.
Dear Canyon View Community,
Welcome to the 2015-2016 Shooting Star school year! I hope you and your family enjoyed a relaxing summer vacation. The summer months are an important time for reconnecting with loved ones. We were busy at Canyon View as we hosted four weeks of IPSF Summer Enrichment Academy and IUSD Extended School Year. My husband and I were fortunate to spend quality time together in Catalina and San Francisco. Our hard working custodians have beautified our campus and brand new carpet was installed in our portable buildings.
Every school year is an opportunity to positively impact student learning; this year in particular we will strive to create learning opportunities that promote intellectual risk taking to prepare students for college and career. The teachers and staff are busily planning to meet the individual needs of your children. As you know, our learning community is student-centered, positive, forward-thinking, and compassionate. The Shooting Star educational environment is world-class. This year we will work together as staff, parents, and students on bold instructional endeavors. This summer and throughout the year our teaching staff will engage in professional learning around Math curriculum, the new Next Generation Science Standards, Thinking Maps, Cognitively Guided Instruction, and EdTech initatives such as GAFE (Google Apps for Educators). Our 6th grade will launch a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program after Back to School Night. Upon IUSD Board approval I will have some exciting news to share related to LCAP budget and allocations for personnel, facilities, technology, and student programs. We can expect Smarter Balanced/CAASPP scores in September. I will send out an update with detailed talking points about how to interpret the scores. Please come to the first PTA meeting on September 14th to learn more!
Please view the Our Staff page for an update closer to the first day of school.
Please note the following information regarding the beginning of school:
- There is no supervision at school before 8:00 a.m. Parents of Kindergarten students may drop off and pick up their children at the Kindergarten yard gate, using the front sidewalk approach that runs alongside the wall around the Kindergarten play area. Grade 1-6 students, who come to school in the family car, should be dropped off and picked up alongside the main school parking lot, via the drop-off lane next to the curb. After departing the family car, children should walk directly to the supervised blacktop area in back of the school. Please do not bring students to school before 8:00 a.m.
- Please adhere to the traffic plan for drop-off/pick up, located on page 14 of the CV Informational Brochure. Please follow all Traffic Safety Guidelines explained on page 14. Do not park or leave your car along the yellow or red curb in the drop-off area. If you’d like to walk your child to class, please park in the school parking lot, church parking lot across Yale, Meadowood park parking lot, or legally along Arborwood. Note that we do enforce the “No Stopping” and “No Parking Anytime” signs along Arborwood. It is also safest to use the crosswalk at Arborwood & Yale. The IPD Traffic officers do make school visits during busy times. Thank you for remembering, Safety First!
- Students must leave campus at their dismissal time, and we ask that parents promptly pick up students at this time. There is no after school supervision. All students are to wait for their parents in front of the school. Children are not to play on the playground after their dismissal time. Students may not remain on campus waiting for older siblings. Parents waiting with younger children for older siblings must wait at the front of the school or at Meadowood Park. Our playground is closed for public use until 3:00 PM.
- Re-Registration Process (Online First Day Packet) - On Wednesday, August 19th after 10am you may begin completing the online Re-Reg process. Please refer to the attached pdf for directions. Please call our office if you have questions. This is a requirement for ALL students and can be completed in the IUSD Parent Portal.
- Our childcare is provided by City of Irvine Childcare Development Center. If you have questions about schedules, fees or fall registration, please call the director at (714) 730-5194.
- Please consider nut-free options for lunches. Remind your child to not share their snacks or lunch, as we have many students with a variety of food allergies. A more detailed letter will come out from our Health Office the first week of school.
- Canyon View Elementary School will provide all of the necessary supplies for your child to have a quality educational experience. However, you may choose to assist the school by purchasing supplies for your student.Any donations are greatly appreciated.
- Children can buy a hot lunch or bring a sack lunch. Milk can be purchased for $.75, and a school lunch, including milk, costs $3.25. The menu includes a choice of entrée with salad, fruit and milk. Please visit Nutrition Services for more information.
Mark your Calendar
Monday, August 24th
- Shooting Star Social in MPR, 4-7pm
- Meet and greet with PTA, parents, and students
- Pick up your school supply pack if you pre-ordered this spring
- Purchase spirit wear or pick up any spirit wear you ordered
- Enjoy ice cream with other CV families!
Tuesday, August 25th
- Class assignments posted to Parent Portal after 1pm
Wednesday, August 26th
- First Day of School - minimum day schedule
- ALL Kindergarten students attend with “Early Birds” at 8:20am.
- 8:30am - Orientation for New 1st-6th Grade Parents with PTA & Principal in MPR
- 9:30am - Orientation for Kinder Parents with PTA & Principal in MPR
Wednesday, August 26th - Friday, August 28th
- Minimum day schedule for 1st-6th grade
Monday, September 1st
- Monday Morning Meeting to kick off the school year, 8:20am on the playground
Thursday, September 10th
- Back to School Night, minimum day schedule
Monday, September 14th
- Canyon View PTA Meeting, 8:30am in IRC
I hope this communication answers most of your general questions about the beginning of school. Please continue to visit the Canyon View website, follow me on Twitter @cjgiguiere, and follow Canyon View on Twitter @canyonviewiusd for on-demand updates.
I am truly looking forward to a fantastic year at Canyon View, focused on empowering students and connecting with our community!
Mrs. Christina Giguiere